Advertising is a means of promotion strategy used by any brand or firm to make their services and commodities commercially prevalent. An Advertisement functions with the sole purpose of generating revenue by making its entity presentable to the audience that it is being subjected. An advertiser presents their product in front of the audience with the aim that it would be visually fascinating. It should show all the necessary means through which it can influence a consumer to buy the concerned commodity and thus, contribute to its overall sales.
An advertisement is put keeping in mind to achieve certain goals. Its main goal is to inform viewers concisely and concretely about the issue that it is being crafted for. It involves handing on all the necessary details to the customers that can help in their effective decision-making regarding purchase of the commodity. Advertisement is also an acting agent of increasing brand value in the eyes of customers. It aims at building a loyal customer base who can rely upon the advertisement for the consumption of a service.
An advertisement should always be effective and worth memorizing. However, many circumstances could arise which may lead to the decline of the effectiveness of these advertisements, and that is what we would be focusing on- Where advertisements could be least effective.
Understanding Advertising Effectiveness
Advertisement effectiveness refers to the extent to which an advertisement succeeds in keeping up with its goals. The degree to which it can influence customers, form perceptions, impact their behavior and create brand awareness all come under advertising effectiveness. It means presenting advertisements in such a way that it influences customers to buy a commodity and completion of its role as a revenue catalyst.
One of the leading and general ways to measure advertisement effectiveness is through analyzing general talks of the public. Effective advertisement always ends up creating buzz for a product which often happens through verbal communication. Some other means of advertising measurement includes surveying, sales analysis, increased brand recognition etc.
There are technological gears that can evaluate the impact that an advertisement has made amongst its viewers. By analyzing Click through rates, the number of times an interested viewer has clicked on an advertisement could be figured out. Some other key metrics that can evaluate advertisement impact are:
- Return on Investment: Return on investment includes the evaluation of total profit acquired through advertising as compared to the cost incurred in running the advertisement. It is a metric that can tell whether an advertisement had made a positive impact by increasing revenue or if it has negatively impacted the firm by bearing losses by running the ad campaign.
- Ad Views: By looking at the statistics of ad views about how many times a person has viewed an ad, it can also help understand the impact being made by the advertisement.
- Reach and Engagement:Reach tells us about how many individuals have been introduced to the advertisement whereas engagement tells about the interaction extent of those individuals with the advertisement.
- It is important to consider that for any advertisement to work on good terms, it needs to be effectively persistent for viewers. An engaging and interesting advertisement is an effective advertisement. Hence, it is very important to keep in mind the factors that could affect the brand effectiveness of an advertisement. Some of the factors that could influence effective advertising are:
- Targeting the relevant audience: A principal factor of effective advertisement is targeting the right audience. Relevancy and authenticity in an advertisement are very important to ensure that it targets the relevant audience. As potential customers, it is important to target them by making advertisements as per their tastes and preferences.
- Means of message transmission:Televisions, the internet, radio etc. are all channels through which message transmission of the advertisement takes place. To increase the reach of the advertisement, varying the range of communication channels is foremost necessary.
- Message delivery:Message delivery of an advertisement should be clear and precise. With the simple selection of words and the ideal duration of conveying the message, message delivery is also a significant factor of effective advertising.
- Creativity:Effective advertising always emphasizes appealing visuals, catchy dialogues and an interesting storyline. It should always have creativity embedded in its core. An advertisement which is unique and creative becomes the center of the attention span of a viewer, and it also becomes the talk of the town.
When an advertisement experiences it being conveyed to its target audience a number of times, it leads to audience saturation. In such cases, it leads to a diminished effect of the advertisement in front of the audience, as they already grow familiar with it multiple times.
Audience Saturation occurs with over-exposure of the advertising message to the same audience. Mostly prevalent in media like social media and television, it can also lead to declined impact over the majority of the audience, with reduced attention and audience receptiveness.
Audience saturation can eventually lead to ad fatigue. Ad fatigue is a term that signifies that with spontaneous exposure of the message to customers, they start getting fed up with it. They tend to despise the advertisement and often ignore it in case they come across it.
Audience saturation and ad fatigue are leading phenomena that contribute to an overall decline in advertising effectiveness, reducing its impact and engagement with the audience. It is fueled by excessive or repetitive advertising.
Diminishing returns of excessive or repetitive advertisement is the term that refers to a decrease in the audience’s attention and zeal over an advertisement due to multiple exposures. It can fall out attention span for the advertisement and it will lose its significance in the market. Not only could that, but the effects of diminishing returns also form a negative brand image in front of the viewers. As they start avoiding an encounter with the advertisement, the message delivered could also cease to be relevant and may fall out of the trend, leading to a shortened popularity and demand for the product.
Commercial products which are existent in monopolistic and perfect competition markets are more prone to audience saturation. As they are always competing with their rivals of the market, they adopt heavy advertising measures as their competing strategies. Fast food chains like McDonald’s, Beauty brands like Garnier etc. are all the big industries that often experience audience saturation.
Target Audience Mismatch
Target audience refers to a crowd of people to whom delivering the message of the advertisement is intended. Understanding who your target audience is becomes very crucial when it comes to advertising. Having Proper knowledge about the target audience leads to better-constructed advertisements with a well-structured message. It helps in product enhancement and leads to delivering an impactful product.
However, many times the advertising fails to be properly delivered to its ideal audience and hence, advertisement ceases to be effective. Such phenomenon can be referred as Target audience mismatch.
Target audience mismatch could arise due to many situations. Some of them including:
- False Presumptions about the customer: If the preferential inclination or the taste variations of the customers are incorrectly presumed by the advertisers, it can lead to target audience mismatching. Such advertisement happens to be non-effective as it does not convey its message as per the advances of the customer.
- Change in tastes and preferences: With time, a majority of customers can evolve their taste for a certain service and choose to adopt a new likeness for some other product. In that case, targeting the same majority of the audience who has evolved its preferences can lead to target audience mismatching.
- Ineffective communication: If the advertisement is unable to clearly express the intended message, circumstances give rise to ineffective communication. Such kind of communication barrier can alter the effectiveness of the advertisement, even when it reaches the audience it is intended for.
- Failed analysis of customer behavior: If a firm does not produce adequately researched advertisements based on current customer behavior, its changing tendencies, tastes and preferences etc. it does reach the relevant audience. Such a condition is a primary concept that causes target audience mismatching.
Certainly, reaching the correct audience and presenting them with the right message is very essential for an advertisement. As the interaction of the audience with the message delivered defines its affectivity, it is foremost important to produce compelling and interesting storylines as well.
Moreover, many challenges could be an obstacle to the proper reaching of the advertisement to the audience effectively. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Pre-exposure to information: The audience is always fond of fresh, latest innovative trends and services. Nonetheless, the audience of this digital age could be pre-exposed to the message and information that the advertisement is willing to convey. Such advertisements are less impactful as they find it hard to grab the attention of viewers more conventionally.
- Ad fatigue: With repeated exposure to an advertisement, the audience starts resenting it and often finds ways to avoid the advertisement. They tend to use features available in the market like advertisement and pop imp blockers that hinders the reach of the advertisement.
- Irrelevant content: If the advertisement’s content is not in accordance with the target audience or is not up to date with current existing facts, then such advertisement becomes irrelevant. It fails to form a connection with its viewers.
- Intense competition: In this intense competition of the marketplace, brands often find it hard to differentiate their products from products bearing similarities to them. Such products become overshadowed by its alternative and do not affect their customers, even in case of advertising them profusely.
Timing and Relevance
Every object in this world has a right time to be conveyed. Therefore, an advertiser should always have the proper knowledge to understand when the portrayal of an advertisement is necessary. Proposing an advertisement to the audience at an appropriate time always helps in its overall success. The advertisement gains an advantage over its competitors and acts as a strategic plus point for any firm.
Thus the delivery of the message at the right time in front of the audience plays a key role to make the advertisement relevant and impactful. An advertisement should always be delivered keeping in mind the appropriate event, seasonal changes and other such timely factors which can affect its relevancy in the market. Many advertisers often fail to conduct the message at the right time, resulting in its failed effectiveness.
There exist some situations in which advertisement ceases to be effective, and thus, hardly makes any difference in the profit-making statistic of the firm. Some situations as such are:
- Seasonal changes: Seasons can prove to be highly effective for gaining profits, or if not taken into consideration, do worse. Advertising of a product should be done keeping in mind that it founds to be relevant to the season, otherwise, it becomes useless for the target audience and its sale is hampered. For instance, if someone advertises an Easter-focused advertisement in the late winter of December, then it is of no use to the audience.
- Audience Oversaturation: If numerous brands launch similar ad campaigns at the same time, the audience becomes saturated. Such poor timing of delivery of the advertisement renders its effectiveness by the declining attention span over the message.
- Inconsiderate Timing: Not considering the appropriate timing to deliver the message to the audience could have a highly negative impact. It reflects the ignorance and inconsiderate tendency of the firm and drifts its potential customers away. Advertising a fast food joint in case of food scarcity in a nation could work against the favor of the firm, and lead to audience resentment.
- Irrelevancy: Launching irrelevant ad campaigns which do not favor time accordingly proves to be ineffective. Such advertisements are irrelevant and as it does not meet their needs, customers do not form any sort of emotional connection to them. Like, an ad proposal for winter clothing in scorching summers is irrelevant to the customers, failing to meet their needs.
Every brand has to undergo trials and tribulations in this intense competition to succeed. Competition is inevitable and thus to survive in the market, launching creative advertisements is mandatory.
Competition impacts advertising crucially. It can make the advertisement get lost in the midst of an over-saturated audience and several other alternatives working tremendously to survive in the market. Not only competition leads to a reduction of attention from the audience, but it could also overwhelm and confuse them as the message delivered suffered a compactness due to increased competition. Product differentiation fails, and there is weakened chances of advertisement to succeed.
Survival in a competitive market also demands an increment in investing towards the rand’s promotion. Hence to promote its products and services more effectively, brands have to be high on their budget, leading to elevated costs and more depletion of resources, which could have been utilized in some other way.
The intense competition also cuts down the goodwill of any brand, as the loyalty of customers also comes into question. They often switch to some other alternatives for the sake of gaining additional benefits, or for the sole reason of the thrill to try something new. Therefore, any advertiser must stand out in the cutthroat competition by heightening creativity and adapting strategies and measures in order to make the advertisement effective.
Brands often face numerous challenges in order to stand out in the saturated market. Some of the challenges are mentioned as:
- Failure of Unique selling proposition: With the spontaneous loading of identical products that act as alternatives to each other, brands find themselves unable to distinguish themselves from other brands. Such kind of scenario leads to the failure of the unique selling proposition ability of the brand, roving their products to be non-distinctive.
- Retardation in Brand Exposure: Competition makes it hard for brands to gain complete exposure and deescalates the way consumer becomes aware of it. A large chunk of the audience remains unfamiliar with the brand due to the existence of its similar entities in the market. As a result, spreading brand awareness becomes harder.
- Trust building and loyalty: Only those brands could bear heavy competitions who have succeeded in formation of a trusted and loyal consumer community. Consumer loyalty is a necessity for survival in the market which could be broken up due to changes in consumer behavior and consumption pattern, hence trust building is one of the main challenges that a brand could face for survival in this intense competition.
- Adapting innovativeness: It is a bit arduous to make an advertisement leave a mark in the complex mind of the consumer. As audience have a limited attention span, advertisements promoting products in a saturated market should be excruciatingly innovative and creative that could assure that customer does not forget about it easily. Brands often hire a creative team to ensure an engaging and intriguing ad campaign is launched in the market.
Message and Creative Elements
Poor Message Strategy
An effective advertisement always ascertains creative elements and the apt message delivery embedded in its core. Concrete and clear message delivery is one of the significant traits of an advertisement that grabs the attention of the viewers. Owing to that, advertisers should always adapt strategies that certify that the message is conveyed in a way that is easily understandable by viewers.
Distribution of a message which is unjust and unclear shortens its chances of achieving its goal of providing the audience with reasons to buy a commodity. Such kind of unclear message delivery gives rise to audience misalignment, questioning its relevance and authority in the process. They are often prone to controversy and frequently prove to be offensive to the audience, as they failed to understand the real message behind the advertisement due to poor message strategy.
We prior discussed the creative elements of advertisement that is nothing less than a challenge in a highly competitive market existing right now. Undoubtedly, creativity is the soul of effective advertising. It plays a vital role in the enhancement of message delivery by making the advertisement more appealing to the public. Perfectly executed advertisements which are eye catchy and worth remembering are ones fueled by the works of creative minds who aim to present the intended message in a way that looks effortless yet astounding.
Creativity has great significance in advertising. It acts as an attention-grabbing element and contributes to brand awareness by putting the position in the heightened position of the market. It reasons with the audience’s demand for something state of the art which is worthy of investment.
Creative elements if used properly, act as a boon for rendering the audience partaking. But if used incorrectly, they transition into nothing less than a bane. The usage of poorly crafted advertisements completely deprived of appropriate creative elements hinders effective advertising.
It should be noted by an advertiser that the advertisement presented to the audience should be exquisitely creative. The characteristics of a poorly designed advertisement could easily be identified as they often consist of low-quality depictions with bland aesthetics, dull colors and appalling visuals. Such advertisements are despised by the audience, let alone catching their appraisal.
Another misuse of creative elements includes using an inappropriate tone of message delivery. Advertisements should always adopt a tone which works per the aura of the intended message. The use of inappropriate tones can indeed drift customers away.
An effective advertisement should always be easy to understand. Usage of complexity and jargon-filled words instead always make the customers baffled. It hinders the understandability of the message as often customers, who are the receiver of the message, fails to decode and gives negative feedback in return.
To avert such unpleasant possibilities that could make advertising least effective, it is necessary to use creative elements properly.
Culture is a very sensitive topic all across the world. Hence, an advertisement should always be well-researched if dealing with certain cultural or social aspects. Creative execution of any advertisement should always consider the feelings of its customers without offending an individual or community belonging to any caste, creed or culture. The portrayal of inaccurate depictions of cultural practices should always refrain.
Sensitivity to certain issues should be kept in mind during the creative execution of advertisements by avoiding the use of stereotypical scenarios or discriminatory measures to any culture. Respecting one’s beliefs and traditions by not mocking them in the advertising is the ideal way of an advertisement presentation. An advertisement should always be inclusive. It should not make any person of any community feel left out and should not devalue their practices and norms.
Media and Channel Selection
Inappropriate Media or Channels
Media is the best medium to allow an advertisement further exposure and recognition. Customers are regular consumers of media, hence, keeping in mind to use the appropriate media channels for advertising is very important.
Circumstances arise where brands find target audience mismatching due to misaligned communicative channels for conveying the advertisement. This happens when the chosen media channel proves to be ineffective for message delivery. Some of such situations include:
- Incorrect Demographical Factors: Demographics is one of the most significant factors through which a brand can find its ideal audience. If due to any reason, a brand is unable to select the best channel which suits their demographical criterion, the advertisement comes across as ineffective. The portrayal of adult products on channels focusing on kids is not only ineffective but inappropriate as well. Hence Understanding what channels to choose while keeping in mind the demographics of the targeted audience is very necessary.
- Unpopular channels: Even though an advertisement is creative, interesting and potentially sales-inducing, it’s being on unpopular channels can hamper its effectiveness. Channels with limited reach or less popularity do not help let an advertisement achieve its best potential. So, choosing channels that can accelerate the reach of the advertisement should always be prioritized over non-popular channels.
- Inaccessibility to technological equipment: Advertisements should be featured on media channels which are universally accessed by the customers. Using of technological channels which are not accessed by the majority for advertising is ineffective.
In conclusion, advertising could be least effective due to various situations. It fails to deliver its intended message more conventionally through a mismatch of the audience, presenting an unclear message, lack of creativity, or through inappropriate media selection. It could also be ineffective when one is inconsiderate about the tastes and preferences of customers, their cultural or social values or demographic factors. Advertising could also fall prey to intense cutthroat competition. Hence, if you are an advertiser wishing for the success of your brand through advertising, considering these factors and embracing their remedies should be your top priority. With a little hard work and strategic planning, you may succeed in averting these conditions and flourish your brand as per your needs.
You should always keep in mind to adapt to new changes dependent on customer behavior, their evolving tastes and the entrance of new sensations. Always be receptive to constructive criticism from customers and put effort into allowing new ideas for further improvement. Through such measures, you can stay out from the competition and make your products shine out loud.