If you are someone who is going out for the first time to buy a camera, you’ll find that there are plenty of them in the market. Not just in numbers but also in types. Also, there are several models of the cameras and they get refreshed every year. Giants like Canon or Nikon flood the market with their cameras regularly. As a result, you’ll end up wondering ‘what camera should I buy?’ Well, if this is the case then this article will surely be of great help to you. Not only you will end up buying the perfect camera for you but also get a lot of information about cameras in general. Let’s dive right in.
What are the different types of cameras available in the market?
There are several types of digital cameras available in the market at present. Each of them can be broadly grouped into 5 categories. They are:
Point and shoot cameras (P&S)
These are the basic point and shoot cameras without any advanced functionality. They have a fixed lens and can be used to click regular pictures. Some examples are the Nikon Coolpix series, Sony Cyber-shot series, and Canon PowerShot series.
Advanced Point and Shoots (AP&S)
These cameras have interchangeable lenses and have some of the advanced functions similar to a DSLR camera. Some examples are Nikon 1 series, the Canon PowerShot G series, and the Sony NEX series.
Digital Single-Lens Reflex (DSLR)
These cameras have removable lenses and can be used for high-end photography. They have several advanced functions and attachments as well. Some examples are the Canon Rebel series and Nikon D3000+ series.
Advanced Digital Single-Lens Reflex (ADSLR)
These are the latest and the most advanced cameras used by professional photographers. Some examples are The Canon 6D and Nikon D600.
Medium Format Cameras (MFC)
These cameras are capable of producing images with great quality and color reproduction. They are particularly used in fashion and advertising photography.
Now that you how many types of cameras are out there in the market, you can choose the category to buy from. But before this, you must know a few things in advance. Otherwise, you’ll end up buying a camera that may be extremely expensive yet unsuitable for you.
The first and foremost thing that you should keep in mind while buying a camera is how much you are willing to spend on it. Simply put you must fix a budget first. This is very crucial as it is not just the camera that you will be spending on but its accessories too. This is why your budget should be bifurcated into two parts: an initial budget and an overall budget. The initial budget will take care of the price of the camera only. On the other hand, the overall budget will take care of the camera as well as its accessories. Make sure you purchase a camera that fits right in your overall budget.
Why are you pursuing photography?
If you are interested in occasionally performing photography, then you should have a small overall budget. In such a case a camera that gives a decent quality image like a point and shoot camera will be just fine for you. However, if you wish to pursue professional photography and make a career out of it then you must buy a top of the line model. If not that then at least a camera that has the same functions and capabilities as used by most professional photographers.
If you are a person who is performing photography as a hobby then go for either a P&S or an AP&S camera. Make sure you don’t spend over $2500. Any camera up to this price point will give you decent quality images. If you are a photography enthusiast, then you will want your images to appear a bit more professional. In such a case, your price range should be $2500 to $10000. You’ll find plenty of cameras along with their accessories in this price range. Preferably go for an AP&S or DSLR camera. If you are an expert in photography, who has a well-established career in the field, then you must have the best of the equipment out there. This is why you won’t spend a penny less than $25000. If high-end photography is your ultimate goal, go for either an ADSLR or an MFC camera. Aspiring professionals can buy DSLRs as well.
What type of photographs do you intend on capturing?
The type of photography you intend on performing is another crucial factor when it comes to buying the right camera. Depending upon the type, let’s see what all cameras you can buy.
- Action/Sports: Detail, accuracy, and speed are important parameters while performing photography in this field. That is why; you should buy a camera that has higher frame rates, the better capability of zooming, and higher megapixels. All of these ensure that you have a perfect result. Some examples of such cameras are Canon 7D and Nikon D7000.
- Editorial/Fashion: Great color reproduction coupled with excellent detail in images is the ultimate requirement in this field. If you are one of the individuals from this category, then your camera must have higher megapixels and the best quality image sensors. Some examples of such cameras are Nikon D800 and D800e as well as Canon 5D Mark III.
- Nature/Landscapes: This kind of photography doesn’t require much in terms of camera features. However, a good image sensor and wide dynamic range are a must. Some examples of such cameras are Nikon D800E, D800, and D600.
- Portraits/Glamour: In this category, the primary component isn’t the camera but the lighting. This is why even a decent camera such as a P&S one can do the trick. But it is preferable to have at least a DSLR for high-quality images. You can go for Canon Rebel to a Nikon D800 or Canon 5D Mark III and the Nikon D800 in the upper leagues.
- Events/Journalism: This is a very demanding field in photography. You may have to take pictures in low-light, harsh outdoor environments, etc. That is why higher frame rates, high burst speed, and resolution are the basic features your camera must-have. Some of the cameras that you can buy for this are the Canon 5D Mark III and the Nikon D800.
Apart from this, you can always take advice from your friends or relatives who know a thing or two about cameras. But before buying anything, make sure you equip yourself with sufficient knowledge. It is the basic reason behind composing this article.